Wipe, hype or not?

Wipe Hype?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robbery

Beginner
I don't think this unfair advantage thing is as big as some lead it on to be. Everyone had equal opportunity to log in when the server was up, and we were all in control of the primary actions that would lead to a dc leading to the 'unfair advantage' of people staying online when logins were down.

Player A and B can both log in to the server at the same time, because timezones are irrelevant.
Player B tries to cc (which dcs you as we all learned the first time it happened) and can't log in anymore.
Player B isn't able to play for the rest of the day, and the server is restarted shortly after he goes to sleep.
Player B wakes up and finds the server is down, complains that player A got an unfair advantage.

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't a problem here. Of course it would be ideal that everyone would be able to log in whenever they had the chance to sit down and play. But objectively speaking everyone has had the same opportunity to log on, and were in full control of their characters actions, which could potentially lead to getting dc (cc, changing maps, clicking npcs, etc). Does that make it fair? No, of course not. Is it as huge a problem as some are making it out to be? I don't think it's the end of the world.

HighFive

Non-wipers sure seem like they care more about their "time" and progress than they do the overall health of a server.
A wipe while the server is deemed 100% for the FIRST TIME is absolutely justifiable.

The game was in alpha during beta and "release" was beta. How come you guys aren't willing to admit to that?

HighFive

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't a problem here. Of course it would be ideal that everyone would be able to log in whenever they had the chance to sit down and play. But objectively speaking everyone has had the same opportunity to log on, and were in full control of their characters actions, which could potentially lead to getting dc (cc, changing maps, clicking npcs, etc). Does that make it fair? No, of course not. Is it as huge a problem as some are making it out to be? I don't think it's the end of the world.

Did they though? I'm not gonna wake up out of a dead sleep when annoucements is pinged just to play an hour or so before the server goes down. I'm not gonna miss work to play when it is up. When I have what is called "free time" and cannot play. You speak of a lot of "equal opportunity" when there just clearly hasn't been any for 2 weeks. You admit its a problem but how to you fail to see that picture?

Roflcopter

Everyone being even is the only thing that you've said that bears any weight.
Everyone being even is the ENTIRE weight. It is the one fact that makes wipe the proper choice. All arguments for not wiping are either conjecture (players lost vs players gained) or a matter of opinion (the importance of time lost or advantages gained) or arguments that can go both ways.

Everyone being even is the only thing that you've said that bears any weight.
Alright, so answer me this: if two months down the line the server was to go down again, maybe for even longer, are you going to ask for a wipe then?
Sorry, I'll just copy/paste my recent reply to someone else.
I keep seeing this and I don't understand. The reason the wipe is valid is because IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY SINCE DAY ONE. Of course there should be no wipe in the middle of the server lifecycle if there was an extended time of stability beforehand. That's an entirely different scenario.

Robbery

Beginner
Did they though? I'm not gonna wake up out of a dead sleep when annoucements is pinged just to play an hour or so before the server goes down. I'm not gonna miss work to play when it is up. When I have what is called "free time" and cannot play. You speak of a lot of "equal opportunity" when there just clearly hasn't been any for 2 weeks. You admit its a problem but how to you fail to see that picture?

It's your choice to decide to put priority of your real life over mushroom game. You weren't unable to log in at the same time as me because you're in a time zone, you just chose to do something else. Some people choose to have a life, some choose to be degenerates, but at the end of the day it's a choice.

HighFive

It's your choice to decide to put priority of your real life over mushroom game. You weren't unable to log in at the same time as me because you're in a time zone, you just chose to do something else. Some people choose to have a life, some choose to be degenerates, but at the end of the day it's a choice.

That's an oddly weird flex of you to say.
Are you gonna run a business and have your hours so inconveniently placed that only 1/5th of your customer base can even reach you?

eorms3d

Explorer
Server's been online for way too long to warrant a wipe IMO.
Imagine playing a singleplayer RPG such as Final Fantasy, Skyrim, Chrono Trigger etc. If your save file got deleted 30 hours into the game, would you want to go back and re-do everything?
Maybe. You might, but you might do so at a much later point in time. Could be months or years.
Yes, I'm aware that MapleStory isn't a Singleplayer game but the same logic applies here.

Kine

Explorer
Are you gonna run a business and have your hours so inconveniently placed that only 1/5th of your customer base can even reach you?

What do you want? It's a private server, open for anyone on this planet. We can't grant everyone's wishes.

I will have to agree with @Robbery regarding the choice and priorities bit. I live in Europe and if the server was released at 1AM on a Saturday, I'd plan my weekend around it. That's my choice.

Everyone has had equal opportunity, depending on the choices they have been willing to make.

Robbery

Beginner

I'm unsure what I was flexing there. I'm a bit more sure however that you seem to be comparing running a mushroom game pserver to running an international business. I can see the point you're trying to make, but surely we can agree that this is a rather extreme example that's incomparable. If we must however, of course I would have reasonable predetermined hours that my business would operate under, so that people could plan accordingly. I wouldn't put predetermined operating hours on my mushroom game server.

HighFive

The fact that the majority of us are adults, have jobs/(andor)school and sleep. It's a weird flex to up or available for everytime the server didn't crap on itself.

You keep downplaying the severity of no-wipe without any beneficial thing to add on your stance. Again, all non-wipers keep complaining about progress lost. Not about even potential progress you and others could've had.

The server has been "officially up" (and I say that lightly) for two weeks. This is the first time it's being deemed 100% fixed in its two weeks and its only been a few hours at most.

If there's a time for a wipe; it's now. Whether there is a wipe or no wipe now, there should never be another wipe again.

Gravity

Odds are you will lose a lot of players with wipe tbh. People asking for wipe to preserve player base aren't recognizing this.

Robbery

Beginner
I've not once made an argument about progress, perhaps you've mistaken me for someone else.

I do agree however that the window of opportunity for a wipe should there be one is rapidly closing. Wacky said he'd give the poll 3 days at most, with any luck we'll get an official ruling one way or the other at that time.

ChrisArcher

Everyone being even is the ENTIRE weight. It is the one fact that makes wipe the proper choice. All arguments for not wiping are either conjecture (players lost vs players gained) or a matter of opinion (the importance of time lost or advantages gained) or arguments that can go both ways.

Sorry, I'll just copy/paste my recent reply to someone else.
I keep seeing this and I don't understand. The reason the wipe is valid is because IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY SINCE DAY ONE. Of course there should be no wipe in the middle of the server lifecycle if there was an extended time of stability beforehand. That's an entirely different scenario.
I'll repost this because I edited it in and don't think you would've seen it.
An even start doesn't guarantee that people will suddenly start playing by the masses. Like I've said before, you can't hide a bad launch, it already happened. Do you play any other games? Let me give an example. Street Fighter V had one of the worst releases a mainstream fighting game has ever seen. Years later, even with a rerelease of the game under a new title, the game's initial release is still tainted to this day and people still won't touch the game even if has improved by a large margin. No, they didn't get the people that were put-off back, but did that mean that newer players didn't start playing? They did. It's a matter of time. If people were already put-off by the release of the server, what's going to make them come back now? I'm speaking of people that aren't as entitled as you and the rest of the top players. New people will join, there have been, even when the server was down. Just because your friends don't want to play anymore, doesn't mean that you're the only people who matter. Hold that. And like I've asked before, do you know what's best for the server more than Wacky does? He seems pretty unchanged and adamant on his stance. He's even stated that none of you have given any sort of compelling reasoning for a wipe, and I agree.

Robbery

Beginner
Let's refrain from trying to rub peoples' noses in it because it was decided the way you were hoping, thank you.