Wipe, hype or not?

Wipe Hype?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robbery

Beginner
Greetings frens,

WARNING WARNING: READ HERE FIRST: The following topic contains the topic of a WIPE. However, this is NOT a guarantee. There is NO confirmation that should this poll 'pass' that there would be a wipe, this is only giving the community an opportunity to show that they either do, or do not want a wipe.

==
FURTHER CLARIFICATION THAT IT IS NOT A GUARANTEE
ss+(2020-11-29+at+01.12.31).jpg
==

BREAKING NEWS!! (OUTDATED, SEE BREAKING NEWS #2)
Wacky has ruled in favor of NO WIPE. Expect this thread to either be locked or deleted entirely soon. Thanks to all those who participated and contributed in the comments. Despite all our disagreements I wish you all the best. To those who did not get what they wanted, I'm sorry. To those that did, remember nobody likes a sore winner.
ss+(2020-11-29+at+01.58.07).png

==
BREAKING NEWS #2!!
WIPE
is CONFIRMED - This is not a drill, I repeat NOT a drill! Wipe is CONFIRMED!!
(Reminder to be kind AND respectful to anyone on the opposing side as you.)
ss+(2020-11-30+at+12.04.55).png

With that out of the way, hello and welcome to the W word H word poll. Wackyracer has given us the opportunity to definitively show our stance regarding wiping the server here at RevivalStory.

I'm sure given that both sides of the argument have gone on ad nauseam about how they know 10 unique players who know 5 more unique players who either will or won't come back based on the wipe status, that there won't be a problem with the poll being on the rather low traffic forum. I'm also sure that everyone participating will be nothing but civil about the matter given the showcase on the discord the past couple of weeks.

The poll consists of the following;
Wipe is hype. - If you would prefer there to be a wipe.
Wipe is not hype. - If you would prefer there to NOT be a wipe.
Neutral towards wipe. - If you will play regardless of if there is a wipe or not.

My own thoughts;
I originally was team neutral when it come to H word W word. I don't think many convincing/relevant arguments were made in favor of it (not that those arguing against it did any better), but still would have continued to play regardless of outcome. I think it's unfortunate how this all played out, and that it could've been handled much, much better. And with Wackly having previously doubled down on there not being a wipe, things start getting messy when you start considering a wipe. Just my opinion, however.

My stance as of writing this: slightly in favor of wipe, but would cast my vote as
neutral towards wipe.

Kind regards, Robbery.
ps. Wipers can donate to me in game for making this thread, ign: Robbery.

WwordHword.jpg

Last edited:

Jordan

The game was online and offline periodically for the past few weeks. Some people were waiting around for the unstable server to come online only so they could get ahead.

Yes they played but realistically the server could have been on at let’s say 2am and I couldn’t sleep and just wanted to play for a few hours. I couldn’t do that because the server was on and off at different hours, the people who had free time to just hop on at any given hour are the people who got ahead.

Since people are already ahead clearly there is a advantage for people who sit around and wait for a few minutes or hours to get online. How about make some advantages for people who weren’t able to sit around and wait because we had work. We didn’t bother playing until it was stable because we don’t have the time to waste sitting around waiting for the server to be online briefly.

A wipe would seem like the right thing to do, considering the server felt like it was in Alpha stages this whole time. The lag, the disconnections, the troubleshooting with server related bugs. I think there should be a wipe and a new relaunch after let’s say a week of spreading the word around. If there isn’t a wipe this server will end up just like Phoenix or worse, never achieving over 150+ online in the coming months.

NoActualName

Explorer
My main issue behind a wipe, is that it invalidates the time people did spend on the server. I would play regardless, but the simple fact is that wiping the progress made, will essentially have people waste the free time that they spent (though some would say playing a 2005 mushroom game is already a waste of time). If a similar situation happens in the future, where some people get to play and some do not, due to server instability or what have you; would we wipe/roll back every single time it occurs?

I also do not consider the argument that some people could play and others could not play, to be that valid. People have school, work, responsibilities, etc. Only NEETs would be unaffected, since they could just as easily no life the server if they have not yet already.

Mice

The game was online and offline periodically for the past few weeks. Some people were waiting around for the unstable server to come online only so they could get ahead.

Yes they played but realistically the server could have been on at let’s say 2am and I couldn’t sleep and just wanted to play for a few hours. I couldn’t do that because the server was on and off at different hours, the people who had free time to just hop on at any given hour are the people who got ahead.

Since people are already ahead clearly there is a advantage for people who sit around and wait for a few minutes or hours to get online. How about make some advantages for people who weren’t able to sit around and wait because we had work. We didn’t bother playing until it was stable because we don’t have the time to waste sitting around waiting for the server to be online briefly.

A wipe would seem like the right thing to do, considering the server felt like it was in Alpha stages this whole time. The lag, the disconnections, the troubleshooting with server related bugs. I think there should be a wipe and a new relaunch after let’s say a week of spreading the word around. If there isn’t a wipe this server will end up just like Phoenix or worse, never achieving over 150+ online in the coming months.

This is ridiculous. If you play the game like it's a race, you will never be satisfied. Wiping just to make you feel like you're up in ranks is selfish nonsense. Get over it tbh

Robbery

Beginner
Wiping is stupid. Just start a new character, you ranking sluts
Lets try to be a bit more constructive than this. I realize calling people sluts is likely in jest and in no way a serious insult, but name calling and saying something is stupid isn't a great case.

This doesn't make it an advantage. It can be 5 AM for me, and 9 PM for you, we have equal opportunity to log in, living in different time zones doesn't change that. The server can't be catered to individuals specific schedules, that would give them an unfair advantage, no?

NoActualName

Explorer
A possible, although silly solution, is to just freeze the account with the most playtime. Then, as other accounts reach similar playtime, they too get frozen. Keep this up for a week or so; will give everyone that "fresh start" without any actual wiping. Will lose players being forced to wait to play though lol.

EddardStark

Explorer
There’s no point. Players already pissed off that the server had like 20 hrs up time out of 2 weeks.

Also I’m p sure this poll will have biased results. More people constantly trolling the discord with ‘wipe plz’ will be more inclined to vote here whereas the silent majority just waiting for the server to come up won’t bother to vote.

Gravity

First and foremost - the argument that not wiping will lose players is moot because there will also be players that quit if there is a wipe.

The only half decent argument I've seen for wiping is that it's better if everyone starts fresh and has the same average play time so people are closer in level. However, the server really has only had like 40-50 hours of uptime at most since launch, and in the end, both NA players (at the start) and EU players (at the end) were benefited. So the notion that there's this impossible advantage to overcome is not really supported.

My main issue with wipe is:
1) It's a middle finger to those who were testing during the 2 weeks, which was necessary
2) Wacky stated he didn't want to wipe multiple times. If he were to wipe, it'd make his word useless + would be a middle finger to those who played only because he assured no wipe

Jugemu

Explorer
I'm in favor of no wipe, but I will play even if the server wipes. I do see the point of wiping, but I believe a wipe will open up the possibility for more future wipes, and I don't like that uncertainty. That's why I'm more in favor of not wiping. I do care a little bit about losing my character, but ultimately, I'm not going to cry about having to start over if it comes to it.

Robbery

Beginner
Also I’m p sure this poll will have biased results. More people constantly trolling the discord with ‘wipe plz’ will be more inclined to vote here whereas the silent majority just waiting for the server to come up won’t bother to vote.

You can make a case equally strong in either direction that one side will be more inclined to vote than the other. If people truly care they will vote. If they don't then that's their fault, everyone has equal opportunity on this.

NoActualName

Explorer
Well, polling will never actually represent a community to an extent which satisfies those concerned about the results. Census are conducted every ten years or so in the US, because it takes so much time (as well as money) to actually reach all the citizens and give them enough time to fill out the survey. Of which some will flat out refuse, lie, and so on.

So the results of this is not truly indicative of one side or another; we can just simply state that all those that did not vote have either already left for greener pastures, are not aware, or do not care enough. Which only serves to reinforce that executing the negative option (wipe) is not worth it, as it inflicts more general pain to the population than otherwise.

Note: I described it as a negative option, because it takes away rather than gives. This is not to be taken as me saying it is the worse option.

Daysoo

Being completely honest, I will play regardless of whether or not there is a wipe because I'm interested in the custom features of this server in particular. However, I would strongly prefer to not wipe, as that has been the position repeatedly communicated to us by wacky. Changing this position would severely undermine my faith in the server. I stuck around to play under the assumption that my progress would be kept. I would be quite disappointed to lose the progress I've made so far.

HanSoom

My main issue behind a wipe, is that it invalidates the time people did spend on the server. I would play regardless, but the simple fact is that wiping the progress made, will essentially have people waste the free time that they spent (though some would say playing a 2005 mushroom game is already a waste of time). If a similar situation happens in the future, where some people get to play and some do not, due to server instability or what have you; would we wipe/roll back every single time it occurs?

I also do not consider the argument that some people could play and others could not play, to be that valid. People have school, work, responsibilities, etc. Only NEETs would be unaffected, since they could just as easily no life the server if they have not yet already.
Lol? what time did people invest on a server that was down for 2weeks straight? If there were any time being invested it was in the beginning for like 15hours, which is nothing.

Jordan

There is only 90 players on average online for the past week or so. When the hype was here upon release there was 200+. Already 50% of the server has disappeared, and the hype is dead.

Servers releases are always hype and attracts players that either continue to play maplestory regularly or players like myself who haven’t played in a very long time, and saw a new server that looked like it would be some fun to play. The hype was here and it would have stayed had the server been 100% stable, the stability chased so many people away.

I didn’t even attempt to play after the first few days because I knew the stability would eventually lead to a wipe and if there isn’t a wipe then it would lead to a low player base server like every other server. If people enjoy playing with the same 80 - 90 player base and never growing to a massive server then that’s fine. I came because I saw a new potential long term server I could log in and play every now and then on and always have people near my level, with a high player base similar to Extalia or MapleRoyals.

If there is no wipe within a week or 2 people are going to be complaining about the player base. I think the players who played a lot so far should consider themselves beta testers or alpha testers. They will still have those high ranks after wipe I mean I play like an hour a day if that.

NoActualName

Explorer
Time is an important thing to try and preserve. It is the most valuable "currency" one spends, as we all have a limited amount of it; and it cannot be taken back once spent. So for me personally, it is something I would not consider to be a moot point - this hits harder the more social obligations one has. Maybe others do not mind the time-sink, but I imagine I am not the only one which values the time I do spend on the game.

Roflcopter

Lmao non-wipers are all over the place. "Who cares that some people had almost no time to play, that's not important." Oh okay, so time lost is not important, got it. Also, you won't hear their opinions because they are long gone and probably won't even be voting here. Advertised rerelease hype would bring them back.

"But it would be such a middle finger to all the people who kept playing!" Oh, wait, so the time spent... IS important... Huh, weird. How nice you got to play enough to even have this opinion.

"Shut up, no one cares about you wanting to be higher in ranking." Except some of the strongest wipe supporters came from the top ranks. Because they know they had an unfair advantage.

"There was no advantage gained by players who could still play." That's objectively wrong, whether you think that advantage is important or insignificant. A lot of people value the early race as the most fun part of a server release. So if you're so adamant that there was no advantage, and, again, the time lost isn't important, why does everyone starting over together hurt you so much?

NoActualName

Explorer
There is only 90 players on average online for the past week or so. When the hype was here upon release there was 200+. Already 50% of the server has disappeared, and the hype is dead.

Servers releases are always hype and attracts players that either continue to play maplestory regularly or players like myself who haven’t played in a very long time, and saw a new server that looked like it would be some fun to play. The hype was here and it would have stayed had the server been 100% stable, the stability chased so many people away.

I didn’t even attempt to play after the first few days because I knew the stability would eventually lead to a wipe and if there isn’t a wipe then it would lead to a low player base server like every other server. If people enjoy playing with the same 80 - 90 player base and never growing to a massive server then that’s fine. I came because I saw a new potential long term server I could log in and play every now and then on and always have people near my level, with a high player base similar to Extalia or MapleRoyals.

If there is no wipe within a week or 2 people are going to be complaining about the player base. I think the players who played a lot so far should consider themselves beta testers or alpha testers. They will still have those high ranks after wipe I mean I play like an hour a day if that.
Technically it would not be a 90 player average for the past week, as the server came back online today with roughly 90 players. If you were technical, it would be far less than a 90 player average. If you want statistical relevancy then you would say we had an average of 90 players today/when server was up.