Scroll drop chance into perspective - The unbiased version

Which scenario do you find most plausible?

• Scenario 1 (1:6000)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Scenario 2 (1:12000)

• Scenario 3 (1:24000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scenario 4 (1:6000 with higher rates at uncommon maps)

• Scenario 5 (1:12000 with higher rates at uncommon maps)

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Scenario 6 (1:24000 with higher rates at uncommon maps)

• Scenario 7 (1:6000 but attack scrolls remain unchanged)

• Scenario 8 (1:12000 but attack scrolls remain unchanged)

• Scenario 9 (1:24000 but attack scrolls remain unchanged)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Scenario 10 GMS LIKE (1:33333)

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Code

Tiger
@wackyracer Since you like numbers, here is a thread for you and the community.

Note: this thread is meant to be unbiased. I am not going to claim what's good and what's not. My opinion is that we should clearly define what RevivalStory stands for. What that means is not up to me, so use this information to develop your own opinion.

Discussion
People seem to discuss a lot about the scroll drop chance, so I wanted to take my time to put things into perspective for you. I personally think the best way to go about this is to take the idea of ''how many scrolls per level(s) is plausible''? I will not add my own opinion. I wan't to make this as unbiased as possible an let the community speak.

What to take in account?
  • How big is the community? It's a lot different with 50 players than with 50000 players. I think that Wizet's drop table was ''okay'' considering the ginormous playerbase at the time. We simply don't have that. So the demand will be too great in order to compete.
  • How many scrolls per level do we expect? I think this question is important because that's a good measurement to put things into perspective.
  • What should be rare and what shouldn't? You may not want everyone to have 11 att gloves. That's up to the community to decide.
Perspective
I don't have the exact drop table at this point so I may update this thread later. But at this point it seems that drops fall between 1:12500 and 1:50000. Note: I may be wrong. I will update this thread if that's the case.

So here is just an idea, do what it will you will. On average leveling from 59 to 60 will take you roughly 4 to 5 hours depending if you're solo or not. How many scrolls per level would you find plausible to get?

Some math

From 59 to 60 it takes 1147032 experience per level. Let's say we're further in game and we have coolies. Coolies give 190 experience. this means you kill 6037 coolies per 4 to 5 hours.

However, some places have good scrolls but are very tedious to train at as they have bad spawn / exp. So maybe you want those places to have a better drop rate?

So what does the community think is plausible?

Scenario 1

Scrolls should drop every 4 to 5 hours, that means that the scroll drop rate is 1:6000

Scenario 2
Scrolls should drop every 8 to 10 hours, that means the scroll drop rate is 1:12000

Scenario 3
Scrolls should drop every 16 to 20 hours, that means the scroll drop rate is 1:24000

Scenario 4
Scrolls should drop every 4 to 5 hours BUT unpopular maps like Croco's should have a bit higher drop rate to make it fair. The drop rate is 1:6000

Scenario 5

Scrolls should drop every 8 to 10 hours BUT unpopular maps like Croco's should have a bit higher drop rate to make it fair. The drop rate is 1:12000

Scenario 6
Scrolls should drop every 16 to 20 hours BUT unpopular maps like Croco's should have a bit higher drop rate to make it fair. The drop rate is 1:24000

Scenario 7
Scrolls should drop every 4 to 5 hours, that means that the scroll drop rate is 1:6000 However, scrolls that give attack should remain unchanged.

Scenario 8
Scrolls should drop every 8 to 10 hours, that means that the scroll drop rate is 1:12000 However, scrolls that give attack should remain unchanged.

Scenario 9
Scrolls should drop every 16 to 20 hours, that means that the scroll drop rate is 1:24000 However, scrolls that give attack should remain unchanged.

Scenario 10
Don't adjust anything -- keep it GMS-like

Other
I can't add more poll options, so if your opinion falls outside of any scenario, please don't vote and specify in the comments.

Note: The drop rate I mentioned is compared to coolies. This is a map where the spawn is really good. So even when you vote for e.g. 1:6000, it could mean that you'll spend a lot more hours than 4 to 5 depending on the map.

Last edited:

Martinho

King Slime
How would adjusting the drop rates work? Can you adjust the rates per item or does it require to adjust the rates for each mob individually?

Kine

Explorer
How would adjusting the drop rates work? Can you adjust the rates per item or does it require to adjust the rates for each mob individually?

If I recall correctly, a droprate for an item X differs per mob Y, so the droprates should then be changed per mob per item.

Code

Tiger
If I recall correctly, a droprate for an item X differs per mob Y, so the droprates should then be changed per mob per item.
Or we could argue that some rates need to be higher than others. It's really hard to decide

Martinho

King Slime
In that case, I'm changing my vote.
I thought the first three scenarios were easier implemented, but since that's not the case, I'm voting for making less popular maps more popular. That way, it's still rewarding to train on these maps even though the exp is sub-optimal.

EDIT:
@Code , could you summarize the meaning of each scenario between brackets in the poll? That way we can see that currently 1/12000 is getting the most votes apart from the unpopular map / attack scrolls clause.

Last edited:

Knivingdude

Balrog Killer
I'm liking scenario 5 since I would personally like to give reasons to go to other maps. Higher scroll drops for uncommon maps might just be what the doctor ordered - and I'm expecting less than a five hundred players to reach certain points in the game where higher end scrolls are easier to tunnel into. 8 - 10 hours seems like the amount of time of finding a scroll every week for casual players.

Finding around 5-7 scrolls as someone who spends 8 hours a day playing the game a week might be enough to stimulate an economy.

At the same time, Attack scrolls are very valuable. I would select 5 if only Attack scrolls would still keep it's lower drop rate by an adjustable rate.

We might have to consider also how long it takes to get enough mesos for competitive or traditional scroll prices as well and factor that in when deciding...

We arn't even tackling what would happen if the wrong scrolls were to drop from all the time spent! It's why I would like the 8-10 hours amount.

Dirty

I vote for lower rates. (less likely to get a scroll) because you make the server last that much longer. If the server lasts 5+ years like royals then lower rates will make achieving "end game" equipment more valuable and ensure players still have things to upgrade in the years to come.