Quality of Life Changes

Align

I am very aware that some of these are difficult changes and most of them are future changes, but it's worth listing them anyways, as these changes would make maaaaaany players much happier (and this would set this early version server apart from all the rest).

Also, some of these just straight up come in later versions of MS lol.

1. 1920x1080 (and above) resolution modes
  2. Borderless fullscreen (ik there's programs for this out there but tbh they suck, native support is always better)
  3. Jumping down through platforms
  4. Adding SP/AP/Equipping/Un-equipping stuff is super slow (item tubi is already implemented, how bout menu tubi?)
  5. NPC Chat hotkey, like in current MS. Takes away the need to reach for mouse
  6. Quest lightbulbs
  7. Pink crit numbers
  8. Removing the flashing part of portals/npcs on minimap - just make them solid
  9. Cash Shop wish list only holds 10 things :[ Increase to 25/50? Makes for easier set creation
  10. Inventory organizer/sort button

Martinho

King Slime
I think high resolution and borderless fullscreen is either WIP or cancelled. At least it has been mentioned as a potential feature.
I disagree about jumping down. The server tries to stay true to gameplay of very early MapleStory and jumping down wasn't possible back then. It is a quality of life feature if you've always played with it, but for those who have experienced the old MapleStory, it's very unnecessary.
Other features will likely be implemented in the future, including quest lightbulbs and pink crit numbers.

Kine

Explorer
Personally I disagree with all of these points. They will indeed improve the quality of life in game, but playing a v12 msps isn't about comfort. The struggle of playing in these versions is what adds to the nostalgic feeling.

Jugemu

Explorer
Gonna share my opinion on each of your points, because why not :D

1. Yes, HD clients are great, I agree.

2. Again, I agree.

3. The jump down feature is actually more controversial than you may think. In fact, many players that come to a server like Revival do not want it. The way I see it, the game was originally not designed around that idea. Many maps can just be completely skipped when you can just down jump through it. Maps like Ant Tunnel Park were not designed to just drop straight through like that, and that takes away a lot of the feel the devs had in mind for the old versions. I disagree with this one.

4. Yes, this is a change I would absolutely not mind seeing.

5. I think some people would take issue with this because it's not very nostalgic, but I wouldn't mind if they added the npc chat key.

6. I am actually quite fond of npcs not having lightbulbs. It kinda gives me a feeling of exploration when you just have to try talking to npcs to see if they do have any quests.

7. Crit numbers are great, I do want those, no arguing there.

8. Flashing portals have always been annoying, I do agree there.

9. I think bigger wish lists would be a good thing, yeah.

10. I could do without that one, but only because I've had issues with it in the past on other servers where it would just remove items from my inventory, so I'd be kinda afraid of using it if we got it here.

eorms3d

Explorer
Personally I disagree with all of these points. They will indeed improve the quality of life in game, but playing a v12 msps isn't about comfort. The struggle of playing in these versions is what adds to the nostalgic feeling.
If you disagree with having an HD client I hope you have one of these lying around.
s-l1600.jpg

Align

I disagree about jumping down. The server tries to stay true to gameplay of very early MapleStory and jumping down wasn't possible back then. It is a quality of life feature if you've always played with it, but for those who have experienced the old MapleStory, it's very unnecessary.

3. The jump down feature is actually more controversial than you may think. In fact, many players that come to a server like Revival do not want it. The way I see it, the game was originally not designed around that idea. Many maps can just be completely skipped when you can just down jump through it. Maps like Ant Tunnel Park were not designed to just drop straight through like that, and that takes away a lot of the feel the devs had in mind for the old versions. I disagree with this one.

Thanks for the thought out responses! After reading Jugemu's reasoning on how the maps were designed, I gotta admit, ye jumping down doesn't really belong. The purpose is to create a slower version of the current MS afterall (and we all know how stupidly quick to level up it is in current MS).

Struggle is not the same as bad design/limited technology, though. If nobody knew about Maplestory back then and it was still 4:3 resolution today, nobody would play it. I started playing MS at around version 20 or so, and even though it's nostalgic af, I still absolutely want a smoother experience.

Nostalgia and slightly upgraded don't have to be mutually exclusive.