Community Manager
Forum Administrator
Developer
Game Master
Respected Member
hello @everyone
IsbhnaO.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
wackyracer: So the server release definitely did not go as planned... ehe'...
The community:

I am deeply apologetic for how things turned out with the server release. None of this was planned and neither was it expected. In fact, I will explain this some more later on in the post.

Without spending too much time on this topic for now, I would like to move forward to the good stuff about this post first.
Table of contents:
1. Exact date and time of the re-release, including character creation phase pre-release.
2. What happened? Why did any of this happen? Hackers?!
3. New efforts to provide better communication / updates.
4. C O M P E N S A T I O N ! !

First things first. What day, and what time? Let's keep things short and sweet here.

RE-RELEASE DATE: DECEMBER 11TH, 2020 (12/11/2020)
RE-RELEASE TIME: 12 : 00 PM PACIFIC STANDARD TIME (PST time zone)
PRE-RELEASE CHARACTER CREATION: 10 : 00 AM PACIFIC STANDARD TIME (PST time zone)

This means you will be able to create your character @ 10 AM PST for 2 hours before the game servers open up @ 12 PM PST.

And now it's story time. What happened to the server during release week?

The server's source code was never completely available to the public until it was released on October 6th, 2018. Because the source code became widely available to the masses, anyone can take a look at the source code for themselves. The thing is, some of these people had bad intentions...

The only reason these malicious people looked around in the source code was to find areas of code that would crumble if they were to abuse it. They found areas of code that I was completely unaware had any problems.

They held on to their exploits until release day. When release day came, they let loose and caused absolute destruction on the servers. If the hackers were awake, the server wouldn't stay alive for longer than 10 minutes, if that.

I was very confused at the time and didn't know that hackers were abusing bad code yet. At first I thought it was some kind of change I made to the source code that broke everything. I went on a debugging spree as well as reverted a bunch of code to whatever was previously there to see if anything would improve. Still nothing. The server would still choke up at a seemingly random point in time.

Some time down the line of this battle, right when I was about to give up, I was given an idea from a friend of mine. I debugged a different part of the code, one that the friend recommended. I was able to discover the particular areas of code where the hacker(s) were going rampant with abuse. After fixing one, the server would still have issues upon restart because there were more than one areas of code that could be abused.

I was seemingly able to fix all of the issues that would cause the servers to lock up and prevent people from logging in. However, a pair of new issues showed up. Suddenly, there was a bug that allowed multiple clients to log in to the same account using different characters. This bug was possible by logging in, waiting for 3 minutes, and then logging in again on another client. This was a bug with the source code that happened during the phase mentioned before, where I removed a lot of code changes that I made in order to see if I could stop the servers from crashing.

I knew from previous experience that this bug allows a dupe bug to happen. The damage was done. The database revealed duplicated items. And the worst part is, since I turned off the logging system to save on performance for the server during those crazy times, logs of these events were never saved. There are certainly a handful of users who are under close attention now. Banning is out of the question when they have VPNs and other methods to evade IP or MAC bans. Buuuuut that's besides the point.

I have put down more measures to catch more problems like this should any of the ones I didn't find by the re-release end up showing themselves.

AT THE END OF THE DAY / TL;DR: RevivalStory will be back safer and stronger than ever. The 'Scania Simulator 2020' problems are fixed. The item dupe problem is now resolved and no longer possible. I have fixed a few map crashes, but I don't think I fixed all of the ones out there. These are a little tougher to find for me personally, but I'll never stop looking for them.

There's another sheriff in town. WildHeart is now a part of the team as the Community Manager.

WildHeart will be making sure people don't act naughty in Discord so Santa will still deliver them presents for Christmas. So caring and thoughtful!! Just know though, any naughty users will be banned from the Discord and immediately written down in Santa's naughty list.

WildHeart will also be assisting with my terrible communication skills. Since I am not the best at keeping people updated about things, WildHeart will be the one to ensure that doesn't happen anymore.

Welcome WildHeart!!

"You get a car! You get a car! You get a car!"

C O M P E N S A T I O N

But how much compensation...?

+ 2 , 5 0 0‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎M A P L E‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎P O I N T S

... to all accounts made before this forum post was published.

Keep in mind that the previously given 3,500 Maple Points from the previous compensation given during the chaos is still counting towards the total Maple Points at re-release. Meaning, if you have truly been here the whole time through this chaos, you should have a total of 6,000 Maple Points.

To also answer a popularly asked question, yes all Maple Points spent previously in the initial release will be given back.

Before I end this post, I want to let everyone know that I will be quieter than normal this next week or so. The reason is because I will be hard at work, focusing on the server source and making as many precautionary measures as I can before the big day. In order to focus properly, I will be disassociating myself from Discord as much as I can to prevent any distractions. I will still be in good communication with my staff team. More moderators are coming soon.

Apart from that, thank you for reading this update. Even if you skimmed it, or barely read any of it, you are still cool in my book.

Until next update,
wackyracer
nU40WZP.png

Last edited:

metito

Everything looks good, but where did the Ilbi come from is my question?

EDIT : You just gonna give 2,500 Maple Points to everyone who made an account? So my Lv.56 is equal to a dummy account with Lv.1 character. Rewrite formula maybe 100 Maple Points * Level?

Last edited:

Gravity

Good post and thanks for the update. Having Wild provide more communication will be a massive improvement.

At this point it just needs to be made sure that map 0 crash and login congestion on release does not happen again. Any issues on launch day at this point will negatively affect the longevity of this server. Opening 4 channels on release might be one solution.

River))

Excited for the upcoming launch. I played ToV a few years back, and been waiting for a server like this.

Solving issues as stated above is key. Thanks for your efforts, wackey.

Robbery

Beginner
You just gonna give 2,500 Maple Points to everyone who made an account? So my Lv.56 is equal to a dummy account with Lv.1 character. Rewrite formula maybe 100 Maple Points * Level?

What does account age have to do with character level? And why are you so concerned with character level to begin with? Also why are you advocating for getting more points when you said you're leaving? I'm so confused...

metito

What does account age have to do with character level? And why are you so concerned with character level to begin with? Also why are you advocating for getting more points when you said you're leaving? I'm so confused...
Hello there. What I do is none of your business. The question wasn't addressed to you, but to the developers/community manager. Last time I checked, you are neither of those. Stop being so jealous and go look after your own pathetic existence. Apparently, the reason for the fixed amount of Maple Points, was so low-level noobs like you and wiper-hypers who contributed with absolutely nothing but negativity in the last 2 weeks, to be encouraged to play again. So, enjoy your equal treatment.

Mice

Apparently, the reason for the fixed amount of Maple Points, was so low-level noobs like you and wiper-hypers who contributed with absolutely nothing but negativity in the last 2 weeks, to be encouraged to play again. So, enjoy your equal treatment.

Wacky should've been like
stop_dont_come_back_willy_wonka.gif

instead

Robbery

Beginner
Hello there. What I do is none of your business. The question wasn't addressed to you, but to the developers/community manager. Last time I checked, you are neither of those. Stop being so jealous and go look after your own pathetic existence. Apparently, the reason for the fixed amount of Maple Points, was so low-level noobs like you and wiper-hypers who contributed with absolutely nothing but negativity in the last 2 weeks, to be encouraged to play again. So, enjoy your equal treatment.

You're right, it isn't my business, it's just that you kinda... you know, posted it publicly. On the forums... where we can all see it. Normally if there's information you don't people to know you don't share it openly. "Until then, Farewell!" I believe is how you wrote it.

There's no denying that some people who were team Wipe Hype were less than tasteful about the whole ordeal that's for sure. Isn't it a little ironic tho that you've projected jealousy, deemed my existence as pathetic, 'apologized' for the "way I was born", and claimed superiority over being a higher level, but are calling other people negative? Food for thought.

metito

Good job. Now you put words I didn't say. Never claimed anywhere I'm superior. I'm just a regular player like everyone else, who has an opinion and I'm not afraid to speak up on what bothers me. I don't really care whether you agree with me or not. Maybe I look superior to you, because you label yourself as inferior by default. You are pathetic in the sense, that you don't care about the future of the server, but of certain individuals like me and whether I'm gonna play or not.

You realize, one day donations will be UP for this server and money will be involved. I only asked for more transparency. Wacky didn't address the Ilbi situation at all, not sure if he closed his eyes intentionally or not. He would gain my respect back, if he said that there were "No Ilbi" and he just used it to add weight to the dupe scenario. Small things like these, add-up and turn into big things.

About the "apology", it was a sarcasm. You are actually blessed for staying ignorant.

The current state of the server is : "Let time heal everything and hopefully people forget how messed-up everything was."

Robbery

Beginner
... you have nothing to lose from a wipe standpoint - because of your low lv

... was so low-level noobs like you

You may not claim it directly, but what other conclusion am I supposed to draw when my ideas are dismissed because I'm (in your words) a 'noob'? Not just a noob mind you, but a noob because of my lower level. So if being lower level is being a noob, then being a higher level must be the opposite yeah? Meaning since you were the highest level it must mean you're something like the best, for example. Better than everyone else anyways. One synonym for better is superior. So yes, you are trying to say you're superior to me, and to a lot of others.

It shows in your own words friend. You're just a regular player like everyone else... as long as those players aren't lower level than you, then they're just noobs whose time and experience mean less because you're superior to them. I mean, you did get a higher level after all. Wouldn't want to be on the same levels as the commoners, eek!

You realize donations are optional right? People can choose to spend their money just like they can choose how to spend their time. If people choose to give money to the server when Wacky can turn it off at any time, just like Unity and 200 other servers have done time and time again, great. If they choose not to, great. If they would prefer the peace of mind that their money isn't just getting taken for nothing they can go sub to ffxiv or something. Buy a 6 pack for the boys, or do whatever else they want to do with it.

Face the facts, you're not just asking for transparency. You literally edited your post to ask for something that would benefit YOU the most. I use benefit loosely here because it's NX, but you get the point. Which is weird because you said you were quitting until Wacky learned his lesson, yet you're also confirming here that he hasn't given you the transparency that you want. So nothing has changed yet, but you're advocating for more compensation even tho you quit? And what if the ilbi situation is true? Would him lying and saying that he was just using it as weight still earn back your respect?

Lastly, of course it was sarcasm. You avoided answering my simple questions in favor of being rude because you don't have any substance to back up your arguments, just like you're doing here again. Instead of saying why you're trying to get more NX even tho you quit you just side step the question and say not to worry about it, while bringing up the ilbi argument again. I guess in that regard maybe you are a regular player like everyone else... who says they're quitting. Only to hang around because chances are you're going to play again anyways.

Also, there's a difference between inferiority and humility. Which one of us is truly blessed, I wonder.

Gravity

Who gives a shit about the ilbi thing lmao - the server desperately needed a wipe after what happened. If it was said to add weight to the argument to wipe, then yes that's not a good look, but there's no evidence that ilbi wasn't in the game, so the whole debate is moot anyway. If someone had the intention on duping ilbi, it's likely they wouldn't have flaunted their drop anyway.

This server has one last chance to have a successful launch and future. At this point crying about who had ilbis isn't going to help. I would be more upset if Wacky was wasting his time in discord answering these kinds of questions rather than working on the server to ensure a successful re-launch.

metito

If it's not a big deal, give me a fucking answer about the Ilbi already. Is it that hard? That's the only thing I want to know. Why are developers/community managers avoiding that question. Ilbi can be traced easily by searching for its ID and corresponding char id who owns it. If there was indeed an Ilbi, it was given by GM and not dropped.

metito

You people amaze me. You take everything someone says without any grain of salt and never question or doubt the validity of anything that happens around you. I'm out of this thread. I do not get any answers to my questions and only get replies from wackyknights.

Martinho

King Slime
Everything looks good, but where did the Ilbi come from is my question?

EDIT : You just gonna give 2,500 Maple Points to everyone who made an account? So my Lv.56 is equal to a dummy account with Lv.1 character. Rewrite formula maybe 100 Maple Points * Level?
There were people who didn't get the opportunity to play at all because the server didn't let them or they couldn't get past the first map. At least you were lucky enough to get the opportunity to reach that level, that's enough reward. 2500 Maple Points + the amounts that were given earlier + a new unique hat are enough compensation for everyone who stuck around.

Also, the people who take everything with a grain of salt are the ones who DON'T keep on questioning the Ilbi. You're the one who keeps bringing it up.

EDIT: To stay on topic, thanks for the update wacky. We're looking forward to upcoming Friday!

Last edited:

Lion

What does account age have to do with character level?

I don't think it's hard to see that the crux of his argument has nothing to do with account age, but rather the time invested. And, yeah. There's a direct correlation between character level and time invested.

And why are you so concerned with character level to begin with?

Again, character level (although not perfect) is probably the best indicator we have for time invested. I think you'd agree that it's very reasonable to compensate people proportional to the time they invested. In fact, wacky already set this precedent by having level up rewards for OBT.

Also why are you advocating for getting more points when you said you're leaving?

I can't speak for Monke here, but for me it's not even the compensation that matters. At the end of the day, it'll only be a couple dollars difference. What concerns me is that wacky could have easily shown with his actions that the players most loyal to the server (a.k.a. those who continued to play despite the constant crashes) are important to him, but he chose not to.

It's almost as if he takes these members for granted because "if they stayed for this mess, they're going to play after relaunch anyway." In fact, this is a sentiment that was publicly shared by one of his staff members in the Discord. I think this unnamed staff member, by the way, is very correct in what he said. But I would hope that in a community as small as this, everyone would be treated as something more than a vote on GTOP100.

That said, I think anyone (including new players) who cares about the future longevity of this server should reasonably be concerned with the way that wacky has (so far) treated his most loyal players.

I'm so confused...

Yes. I think you'd be less confused if you expended the minimum energy required to try to understand things from another person's POV. You know, instead of making strawman arguments and falsely equivocating words. I hope by now you understand that, yes, there is substance behind Monke's claims (which are also what a good majority of the non-vocal high-leveled players think, as far as I know), and that he didn't attack your intellect because he ran out of things to say. It seems rather that he finds it pointless to try to speak reason to you and gave up a long time ago. I, on the other hand, will continue to give you the benefit of the doubt and trust in your sincerity because you're the guy who genuinely believed (and maybe continues to believe?) that a <2% chance statistical anomaly is equivalent to a "50:50, you either get it or you don't." xD

Also, there's a difference between inferiority and humility. Which one of us is truly blessed, I wonder.

Ah, yes. Nothing shouts HUMBLE more than passive-aggressively asserting your superior humility after typing for over an hour trying to protect your ego over something a stranger said on the internet forum of a mushroom game.

Gravity

First of all we don't even know how the coming "mark of survivor" hat will be distributed - so to say there won't be proper compensation for people who stuck around isn't confirmed yet. We should wait until then before getting upset. And for the record I do agree that nx compensation should be tied to level, that was a good point by Monke. Why focus on the ilbi bullshit when the real question should be about compensation to the high levels? The ilbi thing just ends up being a red herring to the actual issue at hand.

Robbery

Beginner
I don't think it's hard to see that the crux of his argument has nothing to do with account age, but rather the time invested. And, yeah. There's a direct correlation between character level and time invested.
There is a direct correlation between character level and time invested I agree, to an extent anyways. I probably had as much time logged on my character as he did, maybe I even had more. Should I get the same amount then? If not then it's about character level. If yes then fair enough, but then it would probably be unfair since some people had to work or went to sleep when the servers were online, so they weren't able to invest as much time as us! It already is compensating you for time invested anyways, if you took time to make an account when the server was active, you're getting free points. I'm unsure why the mentality is one of "not enough" instead of "better than nothing".

What concerns me is that wacky could have easily shown with his actions that the players most loyal to the server (a.k.a. those who continued to play despite the constant crashes) are important to him, but he chose not to. -- But I would hope that in a community as small as this, everyone would be treated as something more than a vote on GTOP100. -- That said, I think anyone (including new players) who cares about the future longevity of this server should reasonably be concerned with the way that wacky has (so far) treated his most loyal players.
How is he choosing not to show that he cares about his most loyal players? By giving everyone who participated the same amount of free points? Should he have been taking donations during the times when the server was a yo-yo simulator? Personally tucking the top 10 players into bed every night? And what about the most loyal players? Should those of us who played since MG/ToV get more attention? We're here despite 2 server deaths that's pretty loyal no? What about the ones who got to level 100+ what should they get?

I hate to refute that with so many questions but where does it end? The release wasn't great, unfortunate circumstances lead to wipe, we get free stuff. I don't recall seeing the Official Release NX Race post anywhere, outlining the rules of the competition. As if after going through dmca, 2 shut downs, and trying again after a wipe in the face of community outrage wasn't showing that he cares about his players. Gravity brings up a good point with the new bandanna as well. It may not seem like much, but it's essentially like getting permanent NX with stats. Plus it lets you flex how loyal you were to all the new players.

Yes. I think you'd be less confused if you expended the minimum energy required to try to understand things from another person's POV.
I've tried seeing it from his perspective multiple times, we even share some common ground. The view can't go very far however when he won't answer simple questions such as, "Does MM drop ilbi?" or apologizes for my birth. How do I see it from his PoV if he won't tell me what it is, and only looks down on me because of our level difference?

It's 50/50, you either get it or you don't. Yes yes I know that's not how it works ...
I honestly can't tell if you are being disingenuous or just didn't read it. Literally the next sentence says that I'm aware it's not actually 50/50. I was being hyperbolic.

Ah, yes. Nothing shouts HUMBLE more than passive-aggressively asserting your superior humility after typing for over an hour trying to protect your ego over something a stranger said on the internet forum of a mushroom game.
You're kind of right? There's no ego to protect since I already outlined my shortcomings on the topic. It's not asserting but rather correcting. He proposed that I label myself as inferior, which I don't. =)

Last edited:

Mice

Again, character level (although not perfect) is probably the best indicator we have for time invested. I think you'd agree that it's very reasonable to compensate people proportional to the time they invested. In fact, wacky already set this precedent by having level up rewards for OBT.

I can't speak for Monke here, but for me it's not even the compensation that matters. At the end of the day, it'll only be a couple dollars difference. What concerns me is that wacky could have easily shown with his actions that the players most loyal to the server (a.k.a. those who continued to play despite the constant crashes) are important to him, but he chose not to.

It's almost as if he takes these members for granted because "if they stayed for this mess, they're going to play after relaunch anyway." In fact, this is a sentiment that was publicly shared by one of his staff members in the Discord. I think this unnamed staff member, by the way, is very correct in what he said. But I would hope that in a community as small as this, everyone would be treated as something more than a vote on GTOP100.

That said, I think anyone (including new players) who cares about the future longevity of this server should reasonably be concerned with the way that wacky has (so far) treated his most loyal players.

Yes. I think you'd be less confused if you expended the minimum energy required to try to understand things from another person's POV. You know, instead of making strawman arguments and falsely equivocating words. I hope by now you understand that, yes, there is substance behind Monke's claims (which are also what a good majority of the non-vocal high-leveled players think, as far as I know), and that he didn't attack your intellect because he ran out of things to say. It seems rather that he finds it pointless to try to speak reason to you and gave up a long time ago. I, on the other hand, will continue to give you the benefit of the doubt and trust in your sincerity because you're the guy who genuinely believed (and maybe continues to believe?) that a <2% chance statistical anomaly is equivalent to a "50:50, you either get it or you don't." xD

A sensible reply directed at pure nonsense that keeps coming back for the sake of having the last word. Thanks for putting this so eloquently!

Hopefully we can all stop replying to that person so eager to get the last word in because this discussion is circular now.