[UPDATE] Closed Beta Progress & Some Good News!

Would you still play the server even if it had some minor bugs left in it during release? uwu

• Total voters

wackyracer

Developer
Staff member
Web Developer
Administrator
Community Manager
Forum Administrator
Developer
Game Master
Respected Member
o hai community!!

It sure has been a while since any updates have been posted. I'm sorry about that. The staff and I are working on a solution internally to get you guys weekly/bi-weekly updates so you can all stay in the loop. We staff members know exactly how much you care about the server, so we understand exactly how you all feel when you're left with no updates. Thank you for being patient with us!!

And now moving on to the meat and potatoes of this update...

Our first topic,
Closed Beta!!

Closed Beta is currently live!! Due to the website being underdeveloped and under reconstruction (from the state it was left in prior to us continuing it), I sped registration up for the first batch of testers by deciding to hand-select some people that I personally deemed worthy to access the Closed Beta test server.

So far a healthy amount of bugs have been found and since squashed. Enjoy this little gallery I made of some pretty funny bugs and small mistakes that we found from the first batch's testers:
Maple0024.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

RevivalStory.gif

*Most bugs shown above have been fixed and will be applied to a new patch coming to the Closed Beta Test servers.

Bugs aside though, let's talk about Victoria Island quests for a little bit.

Our very own
@eGoddess is back at it again with finessing more quests into the game, making for a more complete Victoria Island experience!! Here's a list of quests she's completed and are ready for live release:

BUT WAIT!! There's more!! @Mobster has also been kickin' ass in the quests department. And don't worry, he's got more than enough gum. Sleepywood just got a lil' more viable!! And some say Mrs. Ming Ming could use some help... She claims to have this book about pigs that players can use as a weapon!! How silly of her. Anywho, here's Mobster's list of completed quests ready for live release:

And the last topic I want to bring up is the 2nd batch of Closed Beta Testers.

Yes, there will be a 2nd batch of testers permitted through to the Closed Beta Test server. You may be wondering, "How do I get selected in the 2nd batch?" The answer is that I will be making another announcement when the website is finally primed and ready for public access. The website will be set at a certain time of day to allow people to register accounts for the Closed Beta Test server. Do know that the amount of accounts allowed to be registered will be limited. More info related to this will be revealed in the future announcement regarding the website's reveal.

That's all folks!! This concludes the update. I want to take a quick moment to really say thank you to all of the first batch testers that assisted with finding these really strange and kooky bugs that I honestly never would have found on my own at all. And also a big thank you to all of you in the community for continuing to be so patient in waiting for the release of the server. I hope this post makes it clear that we the staff at RevivalStory value the player experience above all else.

You know... I wish I could just spray RAID at the screen to fix these bugs sometimes...

Thank you for tuning in to this update!!

Last edited:

Kine

Explorer
Thanks for the update and great work so far! Also I appreciate you realize that you left the community in the dark for a bit too long and are working on preventing this in the future.

What I found especially troubling is that this never came to be:
There will be 4 waves of account registration. Each wave will permit a certain amount of accounts to be registered until a maximum number has been reached and then registration will be locked off again. Stay vigilant for the next announcement regarding the first wave of account registration!

No annoucement about registration for the first wave, not even that the first wave had begun. I was needlessly ranting in general chat because I had no clue cbt had begun. Furthermore, some transparency about why a certain player has been chosen as tespian would be appreciated. I assume you took into account their free time and dedication to the server, perhaps some old friends or experienced testers. I'm just hoping that the next wave will actually get an announcement, so that everyone has a fair chance to discover some bugs.

Mobster

Developer
Staff member
Developer
Game Master
Hey everyone, I just wanted to chime in and say that there a handful of other quests also currently in the works, not just the ones that were mentioned here. Please stay tuned for our full quest list, as well as more info on when you'll be able to test them all in-game!

Quiet

Explorer
Thanks for the update, and I'm glad you are aware that a lack of communication is a problem. I hope you will stay considerate of this in the future, even after the server has released.

When it comes to the poll, as someone who has been very involved in the first testing phase I can say that a large majority of the reported bugs are very minor. In fact, these bugs are so minor that I would indeed see no issue at all in releasing the server before fixing these.

Another important thing I want to mention is that you should really make a public bug sheet - one regularly checked off by people working on development - going into the second testing phase. Considering how rigorously the first wave of testers (myself included) have tested all of the content, I strongly believe that there will be hardly any, if any, unique bug reports coming from the second phase. A public bug sheet will prevent double reports and informs new testers of any issues that the staff team is aware of already. Besides this, a public list also functions as a form of communication to your playerbase regarding development progress.

wackyracer

Developer
Staff member
Web Developer
Administrator
Community Manager
Forum Administrator
Developer
Game Master
Respected Member
What I found especially troubling is that this never came to be: No annoucement about registration for the first wave, not even that the first wave had begun. I was needlessly ranting in general chat because I had no clue cbt had begun. Furthermore, some transparency about why a certain player has been chosen as tespian would be appreciated. I assume you took into account their free time and dedication to the server, perhaps some old friends or experienced testers. I'm just hoping that the next wave will actually get an announcement, so that everyone has a fair chance to discover some bugs.

I'll answer this post in bits n' pieces.

No annoucement about registration for the first wave, not even that the first wave had begun.
Yeah I am aware of that and I'm honestly sorry for that. The lack of announcement regarding it was just me trying to figure out another plan. As aforementioned, we're working on putting out more updates so that should be resolved soon. I still am going through with the waves of registration, it just took some extra time for us to get to that phase website-wise. In fact, it's still being touched up at this moment. A prime example would be that the website doesn't have a completely functional system for people who've forgotten their password and would like to reset it. Not only do we need to make that function, but we also have to make it not look ugly. Heck, even the front page still shows some wrong graphics like 2x cards being showcased lol. 2x cards are never going to be in this game, and should thus never be showcased. Stuff like this we have to touch up first and ensure the user's experience when visiting the website isn't off-putting. Hopefully this helps you gain some insight on why I had to resort to choosing the first batch by hand.

I was needlessly ranting in general chat because I had no clue cbt had begun.
Right, due to my lack of announcement(s) that would make it clear that it has begun. Again, being worked on internally! ;)

Furthermore, some transparency about why a certain player has been chosen as tespian would be appreciated. I assume you took into account their free time and dedication to the server, perhaps some old friends or experienced testers.
I chose people who were already known by me as reliable testers from MapleGlobal and Tales of Victoria. I also let in my close friends of course. I also let in some ex-staff of MapleGlobal and Tales of Victoria that exemplified interest. And there were definitely a healthy amount of new people who were determined to be testers and proved to me that they truly wanted to help test the game out and rid it of bugs that they knew of from past experiences in playing. I respect that kind of determination, helpfulness, and persistence. Thus I mentally noted those people down that I would invite them to CBT once I get it online. That is as accurate as I want to get with describing the first batch. The second batch will be the beginning of the waves of registration involving the website, as described in the main post.

I'm just hoping that the next wave will actually get an announcement, so that everyone has a fair chance to discover some bugs.
Oh of course. I said that in the main post that I will be making an announcement about the 2nd batch getting their chance to nab an account in the first wave of CBT registration via the website.

:D

wackyracer

Developer
Staff member
Web Developer
Administrator
Community Manager
Forum Administrator
Developer
Game Master
Respected Member
Another important thing I want to mention is that you should really make a public bug sheet - one regularly checked off by people working on development - going into the second testing phase. Considering how rigorously the first wave of testers (myself included) have tested all of the content, I strongly believe that there will be hardly any, if any, unique bug reports coming from the second phase. A public bug sheet will prevent double reports and informs new testers of any issues that the staff team is aware of already. Besides this, a public list also functions as a form of communication to your playerbase regarding development progress.

Consider it done. I'll be posting an official (and modifiable*) document regarding all the 'discovered bugs, what's being worked on, and what has been fixed' in the Tespia section on Discord within the next few days.