Experience in perspective

Code

Tiger
This thread will be updated in the future. I first want to know what scenario's people would like to see.

Please send me your scenario suggestions.

Don't worry about the weird bumps. I will fix it later.

I want to start out with 2 scenario's

GREEN = SCENARIO 1 REGRESSIVE
BLUE = SCENARIO 2 PROGRESSIVE
GREY = 1x EXP
dsjVKQF.png

LEVEL 10 TO 70

by4Mj7w.png

Elaboration:

As you see, the green (regressive exp) starts at 2x exp but slowly regresses into 1x exp. This gives players a boost at the start but will have a harder time the later it gets.

The blue (progressive exp) starts at 1x, but works it's way in to 2x exp. This means that they start of normally but will have an ''easier'' time getting to 120.

LEVEL 71 TO 120
Xn5Iymw.png

Here you see the blue took over, at level 81 the progressive exp is the same as the regressive exp. This means that if you chose for progressive exp, you will struggle to 80+ but then slowly get a benefit later on. People that want to get a higher level typically pic progressive exp.

Now that regressive exp has been taken over, things start to get significantly harder. People that chose regressive exp typically like the old school 1x exp, but want an easier start so that casuals have an easier time getting to 80 without burning out.

LEVEL 10 TO 120
SSAviqC.png

X: Defines Level
Y: Defines experience per level

Last edited:

EddardStark

Explorer
Hey Code.

I definitely agree the EXP needs to be discussed. I'm just currently unsure if wacky will adjust them in the ways we discuss since he hasn't really given an indication that it is up for debate. Whatever his decision on the EXP adjustment is we will have to wait and respect his decision.

With that being said, if it were up to me I would do the opposite of what OSM did and have a progressive exp, starting at 1x lvl 1 and increasing to 2x by lvl 80.

The reason why I'd put it this way is that very shortly you'd get to the stage where you are receiving bonus exp to get through the harder levels. Under this model you'd be at 150% exp by level 40, and then 162.5% exp by level 50. Also getting to level 40 wouldn't be too difficult and keeping the exp lower from lvl 1-50 would make it so that people don't outlevel maple island, KPQ and LPQ too quickly. This way you would keep the appeal of the Old School Maple feel by not having players out-level content they enjoyed too quickly.

From my experience the game really drags from levels 60-80 for all classes. This is because at level 60 you have pretty much all your 2nd job skills maxed but won't receive any significant damage boost until lvl 80. Many assassins for example tend to quit at around level 70-75 because there is very little payoff to levelling as damage doesn't increase much but exp required increases quite a lot. I therefore think that 'more exp for more levels' would incentivize player retention and we know how bad burnout can be for players at all levels.

Also for those thinking 2x at level 80 is too high, from my own experience at around level 90ish solo grinding on 1x you're looking at about 8-9% per hour. So is increasing that 9% to 18% really that unreasonable? And the exp requirement keeps increasing drastically where after lvl 120 onwards it'd be like 4-5% per hour so I don't see how doubling this to 8-9% per hour is that bad. If the goal is for this server to kill Zakum, definitely the exp requirement from lvl 100-140 needs to be adjusted.

I also think that a 1x to 2x should hopefully be easy to implement, simple for the playerbase to grasp in idea/concept and easy to market/advertise under 'progressive exp' since people will see an old school server where they are incentivised to keep playing to attain more progressive exp.

xerta

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I think regarding the exp curve its something he will look into once we are closer to release and the beta is out.
Thats why it hasnt been much of a discussion latley.

Mostly it depends on we dont know how what 10x quest exp will do to the lvling speed in the early lvls.
Like should we look into that exp curve to or are there only late 50s thats starting to become slow? Or are even the early 30s being slow even with 10x quest exp?

Its something that needs to be talked about for sure. but first I belive the beta has to come out so we can check into what difference the 10x does first.

Code

Tiger
Hey Code.

I definitely agree the EXP needs to be discussed. I'm just currently unsure if wacky will adjust them in the ways we discuss since he hasn't really given an indication that it is up for debate. Whatever his decision on the EXP adjustment is we will have to wait and respect his decision.

I understand. What Wacky does is up to Wacky. This thread isn't mean to influence anyone. I am only going to provide unbiased data that can be used if pleased.
With that being said, if it were up to me I would do the opposite of what OSM did and have a progressive exp, starting at 1x lvl 1 and increasing to 2x by lvl 80.

The reason why I'd put it this way is that very shortly you'd get to the stage where you are receiving bonus exp to get through the harder levels. Under this model you'd be at 150% exp by level 40, and then 162.5% exp by level 50. Also getting to level 40 wouldn't be too difficult and keeping the exp lower from lvl 1-50 would make it so that people don't outlevel maple island, KPQ and LPQ too quickly. This way you would keep the appeal of the Old School Maple feel by not having players out-level content they enjoyed too quickly.

From my experience the game really drags from levels 60-80 for all classes. This is because at level 60 you have pretty much all your 2nd job skills maxed but won't receive any significant damage boost until lvl 80. Many assassins for example tend to quit at around level 70-75 because there is very little payoff to levelling as damage doesn't increase much but exp required increases quite a lot. I therefore think that 'more exp for more levels' would incentivize player retention and we know how bad burnout can be for players at all levels.

Also for those thinking 2x at level 80 is too high, from my own experience at around level 90ish solo grinding on 1x you're looking at about 8-9% per hour. So is increasing that 9% to 18% really that unreasonable? And the exp requirement keeps increasing drastically where after lvl 120 onwards it'd be like 4-5% per hour so I don't see how doubling this to 8-9% per hour is that bad. If the goal is for this server to kill Zakum, definitely the exp requirement from lvl 100-140 needs to be adjusted.

I also think that a 1x to 2x should hopefully be easy to implement, simple for the playerbase to grasp in idea/concept and easy to market/advertise under 'progressive exp' since people will see an old school server where they are incentivised to keep playing to attain more progressive exp.

I agree for the fact that I mainly farmed with 2x exp coupons since release of the coupons. I also want to keep my personal life and still be capable of killing zakum after 1 or 2 years. Perhaps building up experience is better than descending. The one problem I felt with OSM is that the 2x exp felt good and then it was just taken away from you. But at the same time we have to take into consideration that most people don't even make it to level 30. Are we okay with that?

Code

Tiger
I think regarding the exp curve its something he will look into once we are closer to release and the beta is out.
Thats why it hasnt been much of a discussion latley.

Mostly it depends on we dont know how what 10x quest exp will do to the lvling speed in the early lvls.
Like should we look into that exp curve to or are there only late 50s thats starting to become slow? Or are even the early 30s being slow even with 10x quest exp?

Its something that needs to be talked about for sure. but first I belive the beta has to come out so we can check into what difference the 10x does first.

I agree. We shouldn't jump to conclusions. I do want to point out however that this thread isn't intended to persuade anyone. This thread is only to show you what it looks like on a chart.

Kine

Explorer

I think this is a very reasonable solution. I wouldn't even mind leaving the EXP curve as it is. People weren't meant to reach level 200 anyway, so I don't see why we should reach it. I'm happy as long as we can do Zakum within 2 years, which is a very reasonable timespan considering 2x exp from level 80.

But at the same time we have to take into consideration that most people don't even make it to level 30. Are we okay with that?
I'm convinced that the nature of the game doesn't fit people quitting before level 30, especially given the progressive EXP incentive AND the fact that reaching level 30 is not hard at all with KPQ.

Code

Tiger
Temporarily updated this thread with 3 charts:
A progressive chart displayed in blue
A regressive chart displayed in green
A 1x exp chart displayed in grey

I'm not adding a poll yet until it's completely finished, and removed the odd bumps from the charts.

Let me know what other charts you like to see

wackyracer

Developer
Staff member
Web Developer
Administrator
Community Manager
Forum Administrator
Developer
Game Master
Respected Member
Gendo_Ikari_by_Darthval.jpg

Interesting data indeed...
I'm just currently unsure if wacky will adjust them in the ways we discuss since he hasn't really given an indication that it is up for debate.
I'll go ahead and confirm it right here. Discussions like these do assist in depicting a healthy and careful EXP table modification. It is officially up for debate.

Code

Tiger
Sorry guys, I have been inactive for a while. I was randomly put into a new scrum team that consumes almost all my time. I hope to have time for Revivalstory soon. I hope to squeeze in data in the near future.