Custom spawn rates per map

Jugemu

Explorer
I am making this suggestion based on what I would like to see, but I'd be more than happy to hear other opinions on this.

So, personally, I'm not a huge fan of when the grinding meta becomes stale to the point of everyone just grinding in the same one or two maps. When El Nath is released, everyone will be grinding at Coolies. To combat this, I personally think it would be absolutely wonderful if other not so popular maps would receive a considerable buff to the spawn rate. People just never even so much as touch some maps because they're just not comparable to Coolies or fog. Everyone knows this, so why not work to make unviable maps actually attractive? It's okay for some maps to be better/worse than others, not all maps can be fog, of course, but I think the game would be much more fun with some more viable choices to explore.
This would, of course require testing to actually conclude what to buff and by how much.

I'll list some maps I'd personally love to see a buff to:

Wild Kargo Area: I'd suggest a slight buff to amount of Kargos that spawn and another slight buff to the amount of cold eyes.
The Crown-Flyer (Hidden Pepe map): Pepes would be an awesome mob to grind if there was a map with good spawn. The map layout isn't very nice, but it could be viable with a higher spawn rate.
Blue Mushroom Forest: Buff Blue mushroom spawn to the point of making the map viable and lower spawn on slimes and other mobs. It's supposed to be the best place to find blue mushrooms after all.
Stone Golem's Temple (Any of the maps): Imagine being able to grind stone golems without it being the worst experience rate in the world. They are such iconic mobs.

Let me know if you agree or disagree. Do you think this totally goes against the old school feel? I'd also love to hear if there's any other maps that come to mind when you read this.

Xalate

Instead of buffing those maps, the most popular maps? Also, fog wont be available on launch, it will be a catch up mechanic later on. Personally, i'm not a huge fan of buffing stuff. Leveling is already easy enough, with the exp table being changed. But i get why you'd want to do it. I agree that those maps will be crowded, and only those who can ks the most, will be able to grind there. Life isn't always fair, and maybe it shouldn't be either. Having those maps being "no go" for many, as they will be taken by other maplers, will force most of us to explore new places to grind, which i'm more than happy to have. I feel like your solution, in buffing those places, will only make them the same as coolies / fog. Namely a place everyone will want to grind. If we decrease the spawn in fog / coolies, then we'll all go elsewhere. Idk, my suggestion might have the same end result as yours.

Nice post though.

Jugemu

Explorer
I am aware that fog won't be available on launch. I'm looking at this with the long-term in mind. I just think it's boring that some mobs become completely obsolete because of other mobs. I am not saying all mobs should be perfectly balanced, but making some more maps at least somewhat viable would be cool.
There are some mobs that the game really is discouraging people to farm (even some with great drops) because the maps are so horrible to grind in. I would love to be able to grind these mobs for fun without completely wrecking my experience gain. It would provide a more diverse experience.

I feel like your solution, in buffing those places, will only make them the same as coolies / fog. Namely a place everyone will want to grind. If we decrease the spawn in fog / coolies, then we'll all go elsewhere. Idk, my suggestion might have the same end result as yours.

I'm not arguing that they should be made to be just as good as those maps, just make them a little bit better than they currently are. You would need to make colossal buffs to them to make them reach coolies levels of good. I think they could afford to be buffed a little bit without becoming the next Coolies. They don't need to be on par with those maps, I'd just like to see them be a decent alternative when the best maps are full or you just feel like going somewhere else.

Thanks for your insight in any case!

Knivingdude

Balrog Killer
I'd like to have the thinking of changing maps in the line of "What can this map offer that other maps can't offer?"

Of course that'll take such a long time to analyze on a per map basis but maybe every map in maple really does already have a thing they can offer that no other places do? Some maps that are used for Experience will always be played for longer but for the "Golem Temple" map for example, that's the only place I believe is where you can Stone Golem Rubble (White).

I go to "Thicket Around the Beach" during levels 17-22 not because of the experience but for the drop tables that are present that will help me in quests and cheap gearing during a server launch especially as a Dagger Warrior.

It's hard to determine if all the maps already have a purpose since most aim for experience anyways.

Jugemu

Explorer
I'd like to have the thinking of changing maps in the line of "What can this map offer that other maps can't offer?"

Yes, I love that way of thinking. I think something can be done to emphasize it more. Perhaps small changes to droptables or spawnrate in certain maps will make it more rewarding. Because when one map is just so much more rewarding in every way, other maps will just be completely dead. I think it would be cool if people actually did explore and go to different places for a whole lot of different reasons.

I posted this thread before the launch of the server and now that it's launched, I must say that I've experienced more of this exploration than I had anticipated. A lot of it is thanks to making the early quests much more worth doing, which is such a huge step in the right direction, I think. I actually do see people going around to unexpected maps quite a bit now. However, I think that'll be kinda unique to the early game. The stone golem rubble you mentioned is one thing, but you really don't need that many of them, which I believe will make the maps nearly dead anyway.

Quiet

Explorer
Wild Kargo Area is already a meta spot for certain classes in vic only so it definitely doesn't need a buff if this were to happen.

Jugemu

Explorer
Wild Kargo Area is already a meta spot for certain classes in vic only so it definitely doesn't need a buff if this were to happen.
You do have a point there, and I actually agree with you now. I wrote this thread before the first release, and have since changed my opinion on this quite a bit. I noticed how, during vic only, a lot more maps than I expected were actually being explored and used for grinding, and I think it's really quite a healthy meta going on there.

However, that's during vic only, and as soon as Ossyria releases, a ton of these maps are going to go completely obsolete, and I wish something could be done to make them more attractive, even with Ossyria. I don't like that the meta changes into the very limited amount of maps people grind in as soon as that update drops. I will concede that Wild Kargo Area and even Stone Golem's Temple are bad examples for arguing my point during vic only, but man, I'd love it if they were actively used even into the later updates. Basically I'd love a fresh meta that rewards players for not repeating the same old cycle of maps we've already done in every other server.