Content at start.

Content

• Total voters

Knivingdude

Balrog Killer
I'm down for anything but I suggest releasing Orbis to compete with FoG since it's confirmed coming out no matter the choice.

If other experienced players knows it won't matter though I'm more leaning towards Victoria only for 2-3 months since that first boat ride is actually high on the sentimental value.

Wouldn't it be insane if we somehow got an HP warrior up and running for that first boat ride to fight C. rog? I don't know if 2-3 months is enough time to train though.

Code

Tiger
I changed my vote from 2 weeks to 2 months, here are the reasons.
  • Unbeaten content makes the world feels larger and exciting.
  • You'll have a better sense of variation. People will be more creative with training spots.
  • You have something to look forward to for a long period of time, this creates a good rush of nostalgia for me.
  • It stretches the duration of new things to happen, this makes the journey feel larger.
I also wished that FoG would be delayed but unfortunately confirmed to release at start.

Neopets

Explorer
Wouldn't it be insane if we somehow got an HP warrior up and running for that first boat ride to fight C. rog? I don't know if 2-3 months is enough time to train though.

Are you trying to get me to make an HP warrior again... <_<

As for the poll, I chose Victoria Island only for 2 months because I really enjoy having everyone in a small area at the start, since it allows players to see each other more often and will make the game feel more packed and social.

I also don't think that FoG being out on release is a good enough reason to unlock Orbis earlier—if anything it's a reason to push back the Orbis release date. We all know that FoG will become a hotspot for players to train at. Couple this with wacky's ideals of "forcing" player interaction (shown through his stance on KPQ's 1 party per channel) and we come to the conclusion that having as many players as possible in a small area is what he envisions the server experience to be like.

There should also be no rush to release Orbis because Victoria Island has a myriad of maps to train at, and reaching higher levels on the island will force players to become a bit more creative with their training locations, as most known training guides push the player to rush to other continents because of efficiency. Instead, I feel that we should slow things down and make the most out of the content at the starting hub of the game so we can enjoy the experience to its fullest.

One more thing to note that holds relevance and is important to remember is that wacky is modifying the EXP curve to benefit the player's level speed. We don't have any exact values yet, but it is safe to assume that this modification might be enough to offset the lack of efficiency that one would expect from not immediately moving to Orbis during their 2nd job.

I believe the only issue we might run into would be the lack of 3rd job advancement during the 2 months that we are stuck on Victoria Island, since players will most definitely be able to hit 70 and go past it during that time frame. I'm not too sure what's everyone's stance on an extended length of 2nd job, but I believe its a topic of discussion that we haven't touched on yet.

JinjoN64

I voted for 2-3 months, but the perfect amount of time imo is a month and a half. Also I love FoG, so definitely keep that in since the party play in that area is awesome. That or put it in after orbis.

Rex

The problem with vic only for more than 2-3 week is you going to have a nice release and people all going to dip after 30-35 waiting for next release. Like vic only is fun and all but its going to wear out real fast when there lack of good grinding spots and too many people there.

Its going to look bad because there will be that later half of the 2-3 months period where player base tanks and honestly once people leave you don't know if they will come back.

UsoRemix

So I initially immediately clicked on Vic + Orbis as a gut reaction to the question. Then I started to think about it. How long did it take me to GET to Orbis back in the original game? What is in Orbis for a new player? Why do I like Orbis so much anyway (its my favorite place in Maple)?

I changed my answer to Vic for 2-3 months, because of my internal answers to those questions, and here is my reasoning:
1) In order to get to Orbis, it will likely take the average player AT LEAST 2-3 weeks, playing consistently, unless they are really grinding hard, and even then it would be hard. I could be wrong on this, but I clearly remember old Maple taking FOREVER to get to Orbis and have meaningful content to do there.
2) New players have nothing to do in Orbis, except to laugh about getting one shot by kittens, or luring newbies to Balrog and lol'ing together. Not a lot of things to do until you're around lvl 40ish, if memory serves me well.
3) I loved Orbis because of my memories there training with my friends, getting stuck in the tower to El Nath, doing quests that gave horrible rewards, joining guilds, etc. Most of this requires funds and levels.
4) Lastly, the thought I had after all that was this: we're a private server, and the more maps we have for people to spread out in, the more empty it will feel. at least if we have JUST Vic available to start with, people will congregate together, and have more chances to run into each other, make memories, and become friends.

Rex

Well the problem is you're thinking back to when everyone was a noob, yes it took me like 1 month to get to lvl 30 back when game first launched coz I had no idea wtf I was doing. But game been around for 15 years now and most people playing these private server have enough basic knowledge. Anyone who kinda knows what they are doing will be like 30 in the first week and only higher from there. 2-3 month is a lot of time for people to be stuck in the 40-50 to just give up and wait for content patch.

UsoRemix

Well the problem is you're thinking back to when everyone was a noob, yes it took me like 1 month to get to lvl 30 back when game first launched coz I had no idea wtf I was doing. But game been around for 15 years now and most people playing these private server have enough basic knowledge. Anyone who kinda knows what they are doing will be like 30 in the first week and only higher from there. 2-3 month is a lot of time for people to be stuck in the 40-50 to just give up and wait for content patch.

Good Point, probably safer to go for the "weeks" option rather than "months" option.

Quiet

Explorer
I agree that 2-3 months is too long, so I voted 2-3 weeks. However I think the ideal duration - assuming 1x experience rates (it should be shorter if the xp table is more forgiving) - is somewhere around 5-6 weeks.

zenatius

I would like to have a 4~6 weeks of Victoria, but since there are no such option i voted on 2~3 months instead.
Considering we start from 0, it is nice to just play the game solely on Victoria for a period of time.
By sealing the players in Victoria, it can be good to reduce the level gaps between players (hardcore grinders just went too fast with their levels).
4~6 weeks should provide enough time for players to get pass 2nd job. Then we can move to orbis with most of players able to access to orbis maps.

DrewDragoon

King Slime
I vastly prefer slower updates as opposed to most players who seem to want content quickly. I really cherish the time before ossyria is added plus I would like for a several-month period of Victoria only. The way I see things as once we have it there's no going back so take things slow and really appreciate the content before it becomes outdated and obsolete.

Mice

This is a good thread. This isn't something I've ever really thought of before.

As long as we do get Orbis and Ludi eventually, then I'm good with Vic for even a few months tbh. This server encourages partying and I think it would be neat to be stuck on Vic together while looking forward to updates that come in a timely fashion.